Meta tags are the special HTML tags which illustrate some particular aspects of contents of any web page. These tags have nothing to do with the appearance of a website but instead of this its purposes are to:
- Provide concise information about the page and the relevant keywords which are responsible for displaying the contents of the page.
- These tags are inserted in the header tag of website coding which are used by the search engines to index the website so that anyone looking for the particular information can find it with relevant keywords.
Meta Tag Importance
Search engines normally get the idea about any web page’s contents from Meta tags. Consequently, indices generated by search engines are based on the Meta tags highlighting the importance of these tags. There are several such tags but the most important ones are:
- Meta Description tag is used to describe what the web page offers. Users get information about the contents of any website by Meta descriptions ultimately affecting the search results of the website.
- Meta Keywords tag provides a simple way to highlight the important and relevant keywords. This tag is not considered important but helps to some extent in the process of search engine optimization.
- Robot tag aids in specifying how the search engine will point to the website. There are four different ways in which search engines index a web page and can be inserted in the main HTML tag according to the requirements.
The way search engines now make use of Meta data has changed a lot in the previous years but a number of rules regarding this information are still intact. Talking about SEO, Meta tag optimization continues to be an important aspect in this regard. Though Google doesn’t make use of this information for website ranking, a few search engines out there still make use of such tags. The part of website traffic from search engines other than Google depends on this information as it is being utilized in their algorithms. Also, a number of syndication services as well as websites depend on Meta data.
Meta Tag Optimization
In the language of SEO, Meta tag optimization is the portion of SEO dealing with Meta tags for improved search results. Meta tags can be optimized by ensuring that each page is described correctly. Some webmasters use the same description for all pages but it is important to have relevant description of each page. A few tips in this regard are listed:
- To describe the page content, best possible and relevant keyword phrases must be used in tags.
- Description tag should be precise, relevant as well as unique because it is displayed in the search results and must be distinguished from those in the same list.
- Primary search phrases must be included in the keywords tag with all keywords appearing in the description tag as well. This reinforces the important keywords.
- Length and the order of words/characters appearing in Meta tags must be focused. As search engines read from left to right, importance is also giving in the same fashion i.e. words appearing early are more important.
Meta information plays an important role in website ranking and ignoring Meta tag optimization is termed as a bad practice.
Crystal J. Briscoe is from Exams Expert. Looking for 250-315 exam help? Let’s take advantage of Exams Expert self paced 250-323 training and pass your IT exams on first try. Prepare yourself for world Top IT Certification with Exams Expert, outstanding exam practice software provide you everything that you you require for Exams practice.